What is Around the Tasting Table?
Novice or Avid Enthusiast? Makes no Difference!
Whether you are a novice just getting started in your wine journey or a seasoned connoisseur, Around the Tasting Table will offer you valuable information and experiences that will enhance your level of enjoyment, all in a welcoming, interactive environment.
In these wine tasting classes, you will learn and experience...
- How to connect grape varietals to their corresponding wine styles by tasting and profiling 42 top white and red grape varietals
- How the style of wine reveals its texture and its influence on food
- What influences a grape varietals' aroma, flavor and style
- The Educated Grape’s “Five Steps of Evaluating Wine” and how to assess the 4 components in wine (acid, fruit, tannin, alcohol) and their influence on taste and mouthfeel, helping to lead you to what wines are most enjoyable for you
- Alongside George Staikos, Sommelier and wine educator known for his interactive and approachable style, and other fellow wine enthusiasts in an interactive and collaborative format
2021 Around the Tasting Table Schedule
Season I Classes
January - March
Smoky, Earthy Reds
- January 7: Tempranillo from Spain
- January 14: Nero d’ Avola and Nerello Mascalese from Italy
- January 21: Carmenere from Chile and Pinotage from S. Africa
Savory, Elegant Reds
- February 4: Pinot Noir from Burgundy and Willamette Valley
- February 11: Syrah from Northern Rhone and Sonoma Coast
- February 18: Mencia from Spain and Sagrantino from Italy
Rich, Textural White Wines
- March 4: Marsanne and Roussanne from the Rhone Valley
- March 11: Chardonnay from Burgundy and Edna Valley, CA
- March 18: Gewurztraminer from Alsace and Finger Lakes, NY
Season II Classes
April - June
Rustic, Concentrated Reds
- April 1: Grenache from Southern Rhone and Spain
- April 8: Malbec from Argentina and Cahors
- April 15: Aglianico from Italy and Xinomavro from Greece
Spicy, Tart Reds
- May 6: Gamay from Beaujolais
- May 13: Zinfandel from California
- May 20: Petite Sirah from California
Aromatic White Wines
- June 3: Albarino from Galicia and California
- June 10: Riesling from Germany and the Finger Lakes
- June 17: Arneis and Kerner from N. Italy
Season III Classes
July - September
Cool Climate Reds
- July 1: Barbera & Dolcetto from Piedmont
- July 8: Cabernet Franc from Chinon and Uruguay
- July 15: Zweigelt from Austria & Lagrein from N. Italy
Savory White Wines
- August 5: Assyrtiko & Moscofilero from Greece
- August 12: Muscadet from Loire Valley
- August 19: Verdejo from Spain
Supple, Spicy Reds
- September 2: Bonarda from Argentina
no class September 9
- September 16: Touriga Nacional from Portugal
- September 23: Monastrell from Spain (DATE CHANGE)
Season IV Classes
October - December
Minerally, Medium Bodied Whites
- October 7: Chenin Blanc from Vouvray and South Africa
- October 14: Gruner Veltliner from Austria
- October 21: Vermentino from Tuscany
Bordeaux Red Varietals
- November 4: Cabernet Sauvignon from Bordeaux and Napa Valley
- November 11: Merlot from Washington and Bordeaux
- November 18: Bordeaux blends from California and Washington
Reds with Dried Fruit & Tertiary Flavors
- December 2: Sangiovese from Tuscany
- December 9: Nebbiolo from Piedmont
- December 16: Corvina and Rondinella from Veneto
Fun, Interactive and Enjoyable...
"We have learned so much about many different wines and the regions they come from. George is a wealth of knowledge and makes the class very fun, interactive and enjoyable. We have met people from different areas that share the same passion for food and wine as we do and we look forward to seeing them each week as well."
- Alex and Amy V. in FL
A Tremendous Value...
"These classes are a tremendous value, and I recommend them highly, not only for the novice wine drinker, but for anyone who is interested in learning more about wine and viticulture".
- Peter G. in NJ
Our Membership Packages allow you to really dive in to your wine education. You will automatically be registered for every class in the Season(s), and receive numerous supplemental materials to further enhance your experience and knowledge-- at a deep discount with incredible value.
This registration period will end October 6th
SEASON IV PACKAGE
+ $7.00 service fee
- Includes all 9 classes from Seasons III ($405 value)
- “Around the Tasting Table” Digital Course Guides for Season IV ($25 value)
- Access to a personal account on our website, where you can access all your materials for the classes
- The Educated Grape’s Making Sense of Pairing Food Guide
- Access into “Around the Tasting Table” Facebook Group
Total value: $430
This weekend only, get 15% off Season IV Membership Package with the code
This code is valid through September 19th at 11:59pm
Single Class Packages
Single Class Packages allow you the flexibility to attend classes on your own schedule. If you come with some regularity, but aren't quite ready to commit to a membership package, our Single Class Packages give you the opportunity to attend the classes you are most interested in, at 15-18% off the a la carte single class price.
Our Single Class Packages are perfect for
- those who would prefer to pick and choose which classes to come to
- someone who is unable to commit to weekly classes
- those who come with some regularity, and want to receive single classes at a discount
This package can be purchased at any time and can be purchased multiple times. These classes must be redeemed by the end of 2021.
Want to give someone the GIFT of an Around the Tasting Table Class?
When you purchase a class as a gift, you will receive a one-time use code for your recipient to use towards their future Around the Tasting Table class!
- You will experience the most important white and red grape varietals and the styles they represent; you will have newfound clarity on the differences in style and flavor profiles between Old World and New World wines
- This course will accelerate your tasting skills, make you more secure in your understanding of wine, and will bring you greater confidence in associating and identifying the aroma and flavor characteristics of key grape varietals.
- You will gain a greater understanding of pairing wine and food, enabling you to implement this knowledge to elevate your everyday enjoyment.
- This knowledge will sharpen your wine buying acumen so you can make the best decisions on what you enjoy most.