What is Around the Tasting Table?
Novice or Avid Enthusiast? Makes no Difference!
Whether you are a novice just getting started in your wine journey or a seasoned connoisseur, Around the Tasting Table will offer you valuable information and experiences that will enhance your level of enjoyment, all in a welcoming, interactive environment.
In these wine tasting classes, you will learn and experience...
- How to connect grape varietals to their corresponding wine styles by tasting and profiling 42 top white and red grape varietals
- How the style of wine reveals its texture and its influence on food
- What influences a grape varietals' aroma, flavor and style
- The Educated Grape’s “Five Steps of Evaluating Wine” and how to assess the 4 components in wine (acid, fruit, tannin, alcohol) and their influence on taste and mouthfeel, helping to lead you to what wines are most enjoyable for you
- Alongside George Staikos, Sommelier and wine educator known for his interactive and approachable style, and other fellow wine enthusiasts in an interactive and collaborative format
2021 Wine Course Schedule
Season I Classes
January - March
Smoky, Earthy Reds
- January 7: Tempranillo from Spain
- January 14: Nero d’ Avola and Nerello Mascalese from Italy
- January 21: Carmenere from Chile and Pinotage from S. Africa
Savory, Elegant Reds
- February 4: Pinot Noir from Burgundy and Willamette Valley
- February 11: Syrah from Northern Rhone and Sonoma Coast
- February 18: Mencia from Spain and Sagrantino from Italy
Rich, Textural White Wines
- March 4: Marsanne and Roussanne from the Rhone Valley
- March 11: Chardonnay from Burgundy and Edna Valley, CA
- March 18: Gewurztraminer from Alsace and Finger Lakes, NY
Season II Classes
April - June
Rustic, Concentrated Reds
- April 1: Grenache from Southern Rhone and Spain
- April 8: Malbec from Argentina and Cahors
- April 15: Aglianico from Italy and Xinomavro from Greece
Spicy, Tart Reds
- May 6: Gamay from Beaujolais
- May 13: Zinfandel from California
- May 20: Petite Sirah from California
Aromatic White Wines
- June 3: Albarino from Galicia and California
- June 10: Riesling Germany and the Finger Lakes
- June 17: Arneis and Kerner from N. Italy
Season III Classes
July - September
Cool Climate Reds
- July 1: Barbera from Piedmont and California
- July 8: Cabernet Franc from Chinon and California
- July 15: Zweigelt from Austria
Savory White Wines
- August 5: Assyrtiko & Moscofilero from Greece
- August 12: Muscadet from Loire Valley
- August 19: Verdejo from Spain
Supple, Spicy Reds
- September 2: Dolcetto from Piedmont
- September 9: Monastrell from Spain
- September 16: Touriga Nacional from Portugal
Season IV Classes
October - December
Minerally, Medium Bodied Whites
- October 7: Chenin Blanc from Vouvray and South Africa
- October 14: Gruner Veltliner from Austria
- October 21: Vermentino from Tuscany
Bordeaux Red Varietals
- November 4: Cabernet Sauvignon from Bordeaux and Napa Valley
- November 11: Merlot from Washington and Bordeaux
- November 18: Bordeaux blends from California and Washington
Reds with Dried Fruit & Tertiary Flavors
- December 2: Sangiovese from Tuscany
- December 9: Nebbiolo from Piedmont
- December 16: Corvina and Rondinella from Veneto
Fun, Interactive and Enjoyable...
"We have learned so much about many different wines and the regions they come from. George is a wealth of knowledge and makes the class very fun, interactive and enjoyable. We have met people from different areas that share the same passion for food and wine as we do and we look forward to seeing them each week as well."
- Alex and Amy V. in FL
Monthly Themes & Classes
Each month will represent a specific style of wine, and feature three or more grape varietals that most exhibit that style. For each categories/styles of wine, we will offer three live, 75-minute wine classes on the first three Thursday’s of each month at 7:00pm EST.
Each week's class will be dedicated to 1-2 grape varietals that embody that month's specific wine style. We will provide a recipe to support each week's class to pair specifically to the wines' flavors and textures. Our format encourages Q&A so everyone can learn from other's experiences and impressions of the wine and food. We will publish the recommended wine selections 3 weeks prior to the next months classes so you can prepare to have the same wines.
Two wines will be recommended in advance for each class that will be available to purchase through Central Wine Merchants in Flemington, NJ for your convenience. You are welcome to source the wines from any other source you choose. If you do not have the specific wines that we will be featuring, you may select a wine from the grape varietal and region that will be featured in class. We will also offer a food pairing recipe and curated cheese plate recommendation to further enhance your experience.
A Tremendous Value...
"These classes are a tremendous value, and I recommend them highly, not only for the novice wine drinker, but for anyone who is interested in learning more about wine and viticulture".
- Peter G. in NJ
Packages and Individual Classes for Purchase
Throughout the year we offer different "packages" that will allow you to buy multiple classes at a time, at a discounted prices.
Our packages will include multiple freebies and perks, giving you the opportunity to make the most of your wine education with The Educated Grape.
- Monthly Packages are available for purchase at the end of every month for the succeeding month
- Seasonal Packages will become available for purchase again at the end of June and September for the upcoming season
- Our Half-Year Package will be available at the end of June for the last half of the year.
Want to give someone the GIFT of an Around the Tasting Table Class or Package?
When you purchase a class or a package as a gift, you will receive a one-time use code for your recipient to use towards their future Around the Tasting Table class or package!
Our Course Promise...
- You will experience the most important white and red grape varietals and the styles they represent; you will have newfound clarity on the differences in style and flavor profiles between Old World and New World wines
- This course will accelerate your tasting skills, make you more secure in your understanding of wine, and will bring you greater confidence in associating and identifying the aroma and flavor characteristics of key grape varietals.
- You will gain a greater understanding of pairing wine and food, enabling you to implement this knowledge to elevate your everyday enjoyment.
- This knowledge will sharpen your wine buying acumen so you can make the best decisions on what you enjoy most.